Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Birth Mothers

                      



The past couple of days my heart has been weighing heavy for the birth moms behind each child we are fostering. We became aware of a recent (horrific) situation leading to the hospitalization of one of the birth moms, while another has been missing for months and another sitting in jail for a year and a half awaiting her deportation trial. As a mom, knowing how deep the love for your child runs, from the moment you hold them for the first time and  lay your eyes on their precious little face. If you are a mother, you now this feeling I am referring to. You know that there is nothing you wouldn't do for your child's safety and happiness. So, why are we so quick to assume it is any different for the birth moms of these little ones in the system? These woman gave birth, loved their children with everything in them... then somewhere along the line, hit rock bottom. Whether we who have our children struggle with anger and forgiveness, eating disorders, alcoholism, infidelity, or even self worth... we all have days where we feel that we have hit rock bottom. Lucky for us, we all have someone to turn to and even the knowledge of God- to cry out to for the healing or even the strength we need to endure another day! Most of the mothers whose children we have fostered or adopted have been trying to keep their heads above water all by themselves. Scared, hurting, abused... alone! We are quick to run with the preconceived idea that, "well, they screwed up so it serves them right to lose their child!" Fact being, we all screw up and if God has extended His unconditional grace to us in our darkest hour... who are we to pick and chose who deserves it and doesn't?! We are all alive, breathing and capable of helping those around us that NEED us. Most of us "mothers" are pleased to just raise "our children" and if we have fed them organic food, clothed them in the trendiest threads, and told them we loved them... mission accomplished! However, what about the moms who cant even give their kids a slice of 99 cent white bread for dinner, who is laying in a hospital bed because she was just used- abused-stabbed and beaten by yet another man she was hoping would just love her, who just dumped her baby on a door step because she couldn't handle it on her own anymore, who was born a drug baby- abandoned by her own mother-abused by her uncle who raised her and left alone to deal with the pain?!?!? Yup... these are all situation of moms of little ones in my home. I have been fostering these little ones and doing my best to love on them yet... what about their moms?!?! Why have I not even thought, up to this point, about how much they need someone?!?! I have hit rock bottom in my life. I turned to my God, my amazing husband, my loving family and unconditional friends. And that's where the difference lies... I have people in my life to encourage me when I feel like I am falling apart, to support me in my decisions, and to see beyond my mistakes and love me anyway! These moms have hit rock bottom and  stay there. Who are we to assume that they are not our problem?! If you are reading this post and you consider yourself a follower of Christ.... These woman ARE our problem and our responsibility. We are blessed to have the life we have, the friends and family in our lives. Its time we roll up our sleeves, put someone before ourselves and pray for a heart that breaks for the very things that breaks Gods heart... the lost, hurting and broken!
                              



1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle,

    My name is Jillian and I serve with The Forgotten Initiative, a ministry dedicated to bringing joy and purpose to the foster care community. http://www.theforgotteninitiative.org/ I absolutely loved this post. So real and so true. Would you be willing to be a guest blogger for our TFI blog? http://www.theforgottenblog.org/ We would love to have you join our team! Please email me at info@theforgotteninitiative.org if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete